Marriage/Civil Union Licenses
It is recommended that you call ahead to ensure that the Registrar or Deputy Registrar is available to take the application. Please call for an appointment (973) 448-2028 or (973) 448-2029
How to Apply for a Marriage License:
Complete the Marriage License Application. Do not sign the application form before going to the Local Registrar, you must sign the application under oath in front of the issuing authority.
Where to Apply:
- Apply for the marriage license in the New Jersey municipality where either party resides. The license is valid throughout New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed. In this case, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
Requirements When Applying for a Marriage License:
- Proof of identity by presenting a valid Government Issued Photo ID
- Proof of residency by one applicant
- Social Security number* (*Your Social Security number is required by law for US Citizens and will be kept confidential)
- A witness, 18 Years of age or older
- **$28 application fee; payable by check, cash or money order **$28 fee is now being waived for marriage license applications, effective July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023**
After you Apply:
There is a 72-hour waiting period after an application is taken before the license can be issued. The application for a marriage license is valid for six (6) months from the date accepted. The marriage license is valid 30 days from the date of issuance.
Additional information and requirements for Marriage Licenses, Civil Unions & Domestic Partnerships can be found at the link below:
Certified Copies of Vital Records - Birth, Marriage or Death Certificate
To obtain a copy of a birth, marriage, or death certificate you must:
- Complete the Application for Certified Copy of Vital Record
- Non-genealogical Certified Copy Request Form
- Provide valid identification*
- Provide proof of relationship
- Pay the required fee: $25.00 for 1st copy, $2 for each additional copy per request
*Acceptable forms of identification: Valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address, OR Valid driver’s license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address; OR Two alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address. Alternate Forms of ID: Vehicle registration, Vehicle insurance card, Voter registration, US/Foreign Passport, Immigrant Visa, Permanent Resident Card (Green card), Federal/State ID, County ID, School ID, Utility bill (within the previous 90 days), Bank Statement (within previous 90 days), W-2 or tax return for current or previous year. Please do not send in original ID documents. Only copies are required.
- Death Certificates will be on file where the person was pronounced dead - Not where the certificate was issued
- Birth Certificates will be on file where the person was born
- Marriage Certificates will be on file where the event took place - Not where you applied for the license
- Civil Unions will be on file where the event took place - Not where you applied for the license
- Domestic Partnership Agreements will be on file in the municipality in which the application was taken because no further ceremony is required.
Monday – Friday
8 am – 4:30 pm
72 Eyland Avenue
Succasunna, NJ 07876
**Please call to make an appointment**