View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

            January 17, 2006                                           


A Special Budget/Workshop Meeting was Held by the Township Council of the Township of Roxbury on January 17, 2006 at 1715 Route 46, Ledgewood, New Jersey at 7:30 p.m. 



Notice is hereby given that a Special Meeting of the Township Council of the Township of Roxbury will be held on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 7:30 PM and Tuesday, January 31, 2006 at 7:30 PM at 1715 Route 46, Ledgewood, New Jersey.  This meeting is being held for the purpose of discussing the 2006 Municipal Budget.


Adequate notice of this meeting of the Township Council of the Township of Roxbury was given as required by the Open Public Meetings Act as follows:  Notice was faxed to the Daily Record, the Newark Star Ledger and the Roxbury Register on January 12, 2006; notice was posted on the bulletin board in the main hallway of the Municipal Building on January 12, 2006.


ROLL CALL:  Councilwoman Kathy DeFillippo, Councilmen Fred Hall, Jim Rilee, Tim Smith, Richard Zoschak, John Ciaramella and Mayor Martin Schmidt


ALSO PRESENT:  Christopher Raths, Township Manager and Janet Rieth, Deputy Township Clerk 




Capital Budget Discussion

Mr. Raths suggested that Council address each department and identify any questions they may have and/or any departments that Council may wish to have attend a future meeting.


IT Department

Mr. Rilee questioned why the Panasonic Toughbooks that the Police Department is using are going bad so quickly.  Mr. Raths explained that we may need to look at a different brand or it could be the type of use they are getting in the police cars at this time.  Mr. Raths will check into this and report back to Council.



Mr. Rilee questioned if there is money in off site contributions for Dell Avenue.  Mr. Raths stated that we will be receiving some money in off site contributions from Mr. Petillo.  Mr. Hall questioned if there is off site money slated for the Righter Road/Mary Louise area.  Mr. Raths stated that there will be off site contributions for roadway improvements ($100,000) for the second phase of Righter Road in 2007. 


Mr. Smith questioned why the $40,000 for Canal Street Engineering and Construction was taken out.  Mr. Raths explained that the drainage work has been completed, resurfacing will be done in the Spring and it will be done with the money that was previously allocated.


Buildings & Grounds

Mr. Zoschak  questioned why Mr. Raths is recommending $50,000 for the Town Hall parking lot, when only $40,000 was originally requested.  Mr. Raths stated that we have been carrying the project for four to five years.  Originally it was estimated at $40,000; however, the estimate came in at $52,000 for this year.


Mr. Rilee questioned if the Spacesaver System is a County Co-op item.  Mr. Raths advised that it is not and that we will be receiving bids.  Mr. Raths further advised that these are horizontal files on a tract, which would save a significant amount of space. 


Mr. Hall requested that, in the near future, when grant money is available, the Township should look at an automated document management system.  Mayor Schmidt stated that the County is looking at a system and they will be visiting municipalities to determine what the archival needs are to see if the needs of the municipalities and the County can be merged.  Mr. Hall suggested that we wait until the County buys theirs and then tag onto their PARIS grant money and then everyone will have the same system.   


Fire Prevention

Council discussed the necessity of an SUV and the price of $28,000.  Mr. Raths advised that Mr. Pellek carries  a  lot of radio and rescue equipment and needs the four-wheel drive for bad weather. He further advised that the price is for the vehicle and light bars. Mr. Rilee questioned if new strobe lights would be needed or if the current ones could be used on the new vehicle.   Mr. Raths will check into this and whether or not this price includes a tow package.  Mr. Blood advised that the price is through a co-op; however it is not a trade in and the current vehicle would be auctioned in the Spring.  Council requested that the price be amended to $24,000. Mr. Zoschak stated that, before the size of the vehicle is cut, he would like Mr. Pellek to advise  what equipment he needs to carry.



Mrs. DeFillippo questioned if the $95,000 for the ESU vehicle includes the equipment that would go into the vehicle.  Mr. Raths advised that it is substantially the truck and he will provide the backup to Council.  This vehicle is not being recommended for 2006.


Fire/First Aid

Mr. Raths advised that the $25,000 for the Brush Truck is no longer contingent upon a grant. This is a trade in for Truck 102 and Truck 105 will be transferred to Company No. 2.


Road Department

Mr. Blood presented Council with a memorandum justifying the purchase of the chipper, which would replace the 1986 chipper and reduce the usage of the 1990 chipper. Council recommended trading in both chippers and purchasing a new one.  Mr. Blood will obtain a price.


Regarding sidewalk repairs, Mr. Raths advised that in 2006 this is still under minor equipment.  He is recommending  that, in 2007 more money be spent on sidewalk repairs and it would put into the Road Department.


Equipment & Repair

Discussion ensued regarding the necessity of a forklift and the majority of Council agreed to the purchase.



Council discussed the purchase of a 31 CY Packer for $180,000. Mr. Blood advised that the cost represents the purchase with a trade in.  Mr. Ciaramella questions if the truck will be equipped with a snowplow.  Mr. Blood advised that, if the bids come in within range and if he has money to put a plow on, he will do that.  Mr. Zoschak questioned if contracting for garbage collection could save money.  Mr. Raths advised that this was discussed a couple of year ago and he will provide Council with an updated report.



Council requested that Mr. Raths discuss the possibility of shared services for buses and other items with Dennis Mack, Superintendent of Schools.



Council discussed the $82,000 for the purchase of a 16-foot mower and the possibility of purchasing an 11-foot mower instead.  Mr. Blood presented Council with a memorandum comparing the 6-foot mower with the 16-foot mower.  Mr. Blood will refigure the calculations to include an 11-foot mower.  Mr. Raths will check to determine if a new trailer will be necessary for an 11-foot mower.  Mr. Smith stated that he would like to know the difference in cost between the 6-foot, 11-foot and 16-foot mowers, the yearly difference in cost for financing and the difference in savings between the three.  Ms. Palmieri will revise the comparison.  Mr. Blood  advised that he spoke with Mr. Soetebeer, Director of Buildings and Grounds for the Board of Education, regarding the possibility of shared services, and he was hesitant, due to the possibility that both entities may want to use the mower at the same time.


Regarding the Nalron Park improvements, Mr. Raths will have Dave Stierli contact Little League to see if they would contribute to the dugouts.


At 9:30 PM Council took a short break.

At 9:38 PM Council returned to the Budget Meeting.



Mr. Raths advised that the computers will be added to the operating budget of the Library, which will go towards the 1/3 of  the MIL requirement.  Mr. Raths will check to determine who is purchasing the software.



No Changes


Minor Capital Equipment

Regarding the electronic traffic signs, Mr. Raths advised that they are portable, will fit on the back of a truck and bolt on to a pole.  These will be used to address complaints and have the capability of storing data. 


Mr. Ciaramella questioned the need for a skid mount water tank and utility trailer.  Mr. Blood advised that this would allow us to have one vehicle for asphalt work.  Mr. Blood further explained that the tank will mount on the back of the trailer with room on the back end for the asphalt saw.



Mr. Blood will send a memorandum to Council outlining his recommendations for the policy of repairing and/or replacing grinder pumps.



The majority of Council agreed to remove the $15,000 truck.


Operating Budget Presentation


Lisa Palmieri, Chief Financial Officer, and Christopher Raths, gave a power point presentation of the Operating Budget.  The objectives for the budget are to minimize impact on the tax rate; stabilize expenditure growth; implement cost reduction recommendations and provide enhanced information.  At this point there would be an 8.1 point increase, which would be $81.00 per $100,000 assessed value.  Ms. Palmieri advised that we are anticipating a fund balance this year of $250,000, where in the past we have been closer to $1,000,000.  This is a part of the reason for the 8.1 point increase we are anticipating.  Mr. Raths explained that we are not replenishing our fund balance, we are drawing down on it. Ms. Palmieri stated that the increase in the total pension obligation represents approximately 1.3 tax points of  the operating budget.


Regarding the anticipation of future revenues, Mr. Hall stated that Council previously discussed looking at recreational fees and adjusting them appropriately.  He questioned if this has been done and what the impact has been.  Mr. Raths explained the impact is shown in Attachment 2 of his budget message.  Mayor Schmidt stated that it was suggested last year that a check off box be added to Recreation applications for anyone who would like to contribute extra money and he has been told that this was being implemented.  Mr. Raths will check with Mr. Stierli.


Mr. Smith stated that it was discussed last year to take departments that are revenue generated and look at them on a cost accounting basis to determine if they are self sustaining and if the fees they charge are reasonable relative to the costs.  Ms. Palmieri will look at Recreation Department, Fire Prevention, Construction, Planning/Zoning and Health.



No Discussion



Robert Kluska, 274 Emmans Road, questioned what will cause the $9,000 reduction in ratables for 2006.  Mr. Rilee advised that most of it is due to the Hercules tax appeal.





ORDINANCES TO BE INTRODUCED                                                













January 13, 2006


#11 – Correspondence from Celeste Fasone, Director of Board of Public Utilities, State of NJ to Cable Operator & Interested Partied, dated December 27, 2005, re; Stakeholder Input, N.J.A.C. 14:18 – This will be given to the Cable Committee at their meeting on Thursday.


#17 – Correspondence from Tom Potere, Zoning Officer to the Honorable Judge Carl Wronko, dated January 5, 2006, re: Ralph Eipin, T/A Ralph’s Realty Corp., a/k/a/ Lake’s End Marina, 91 Mt. Arlington Road, Block 10101, Lot 48, SC-2006 – This is to advise the Judge that the site plan application has been submitted.


#18 – Interoffice Memo from BettyLou DeCroce, to Mayor & Council, dated January 9, 2006, re: Penalties for Municipal Ordinance Violations – Council would like an Ordinance prepared.


#23 – Correspondence from Todah Rabah of the Celebration Committee of Temple Shalom to Mayor/Council, dated January 3, 20006, re: Retirement of Rabbi Joel Soffin  - A proclamation will be prepared.






At 10:55 PM Mr. Rilee made a motion to adjourn the Budget/Workshop Meeting.  Mr. Zoschak seconded the motion.


All In Favor – yes


Submitted By:





BettyLou DeCroce

Township Clerk


DATE:                                    February 14, 2006

ROLL CALL:             Mr. Rilee – yes Mr. Smith – yes

                                    Mr. Ciaramella – yes     Mrs. DeFillippo – yes

                                    Mr. Hall - yes