View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

February 21, 2006


A Budget/Workshop Meeting of the Township Council of the Township of Roxbury was held on February 21, 2006 at 1715 Route 46, Ledgewood, New Jersey at 7:30.



Notice is hereby given that a Special Meeting of the Township Council of the Township of Roxbury will be held on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 7:30 PM at 1715 Route 46, Ledgewood, New Jersey.  This meeting is being held for the purpose of discussing the 2006 Municipal Budget.


Adequate notice of this meeting of the Township Council of the Township of Roxbury was given as required by the Open Public Meetings Act as follows:  Notice was faxed to the Daily Record, the Newark Star Ledger and the Roxbury Register on February 8, 2006; notice was posted on the bulletin board in the main hallway of the Municipal Building on February 8, 2006.


ROLL CALL:  Councilwoman Kathy DeFillippo, Councilmen Fred Hall, Jim Rilee, Tim Smith, John Ciaramella and Mayor Martin Schmidt


ALSO PRESENT:  Christopher Raths, Township Manager and Janet Rieth, Deputy Township Clerk 


ABSENT:  Councilman Richard Zoschak was on vacation.




Operating Budget Discussion

Engineering / DPW


Mr. Raths stated that there is a reduction in O/E of 15.51% overall and a reduction of 2.1% from last year’s budget.


Mr. Smith questioned if a greater percentage of the salaries of Kevin Begraft, Mike Kobylarz and Melanie Michetti could be taken out of Water and Sewer since more of their work is coming from those departments than from Engineering.  Mr. Kobylarz will look into this.


Mr. Smith requested justification for the $5,000 for GPS.  Mr. Kobylarz stated that there is $2,000 for the GPS unit.  In order to comply with stormwater management regulations, we need to locate the outfalls on all of our discharges throughout the Township.  Initially it would be to continue that work.  We have done work in conjunction with the Lake Hopatcong Commission and the Lake Musconetcong  Regional Planning Board to locate outfalls along those water bodies.  This program needs to be continued within the Township and needs to be completed within a three year period from April 2004.  Mr. Kobylarz feels this is important and would rather not put this item off for another year.


Account 239, Education & Training

Mr. Hall stated that GIS training is listed twice. Mr. Kobylarz will check to determine if this is a redundancy.  Mr. Hall questioned if these training sessions are offered in house or online.  Mr. Kobylarz stated that he has not seen these courses offered either way.  


Account 203, Contracted Services

Mr. Ciaramella questioned if the contribution to Lake Musconetcong Regional Planning Board would fall under this Account.  Mr. Kobylarz stated that the Lake Musconetcong Regional Planning Board has it own account.


Account 219, Materials & Supplies

Mrs. DeFillippo questioned why so much is being requested this year.  Mr. Kobylarz stated that $1,750 of the $4,525 is for an office workstation that they did not receive last year. 


Account 222, Travel & Convention

Mr. Kobylarz stated that this includes the Professional Engineers Convention, which he has not been able to attend.


The majority of Council agreed to remove the $1,750 for the workstation.  Mr. Raths will check into the possibility of splitting the purchase of the GPS unit ($1,000) and the training ($750) with Sewer & Water Utilities.



Streets and Roads

Council agreed that all salary increase requests will be discussed collectively at a future date.


Mr. Raths advised that this represents a 6.7% overall increase from last year.


Account 102, Part Time

The $21,120 will be taken out for part time seasonal employees, bringing the total salary and wages to $651,222.


Snow & Ice

Mr. Raths advised that this is $5,000 less than last year.


Account 102, Part Time 

Mr. Blood advised that this will offset overtime and contracted services.  During a  weekday storm, Township employees cannot plow because of their other workload.  By hiring people on a constant basis to be available during the week, they can supplement the plowing operation and reduce the time it takes to finish.


Public Works

Mr. Raths advised that this is a 1.21% increase from the previous year’s budgeted amount.


Sanitation & Recycling

Mr. Blood will look at the possibility of operating the recycling center on weekends only.  He will have this information available for the February 28th meeting.


Ms. Palmieri advised that one of the reasons for the increase in expenses is that the Township was only able to appropriate $40,000 worth of salaries to the recycling trust. 


Equipment & Repair

Mr. Raths advised that this is an overall increase of  .04 %.  Ms. Palmieri advised that  $500 in salaries will be allocated to the Uniform Construction Code budget for the hours spent on that department’s vehicle maintenance.


Tipping Fees

Mr. Raths advised that there is no price increase in 2006.


Water Utility Fund

Account 204, Electricity

Mr. Blood stated that an increase to $112,000 is being recommended due to an increase in utility costs.


Account 213, State Fees/Permits

Mrs. Palmieri stated that we are allocating $10,000 from the operating budget into Water Utility for pension costs.


Account 211, Contracted Services

Mr. Blood advised that this was increased for the annual servicing of the generators.


Sewer Utility

Account 261, Office Expense

Mr. Raths will break this down for Council.


At 8:45 PM Council took a short break.

At 8:55 PM Council returned to the Budget Meeting.


Police Department

Mr. Raths advised that this represents a 3.20% overall increase.


Account 209, Emergency Services Unit

Chief Noll advised that supplies for the Emergency Services Unit and for emergency supplies for the police fleet come out of this line item. He further advised that this line item has been consistent at $10,000 since 1991.  Mr. Raths explained that this line item also consists of training for EMT certification.  Chief Noll advised that the 15 EMTs must recertify with 48 educational credits every 3 years. 


Account 219, Materials & Supplies

Mr. Ciaramella questioned if the $2,000 for replacement furniture could be cut.  Captain Kennedy explained that this is the broadest line item and is used to replace items that get broken during the year.


Discussion ensued regarding the dive team and dive equipment.  Council questioned if the Fire Department owns dive equipment.  Mr. Raths will look into this.


Account 277, Police Applicants/Promotional Exams

Promotional exams were added to this line item this year.  An exam will be held to replace two officers who will be retiring in 2006.


Account 218, Civilian CPR

Chief Noll advised that, in the past, this class was held for Township employees.  There was no class in 2005, but they are planning on holding a CPR class this year.


Mr. Hall questioned if there is anything that can be done to cut back on overtime.  Captain Kennedy stated that they compared Roxbury to other similar communities and the overtime in Roxbury was the least amount of all the other towns.  Chief Noll stated that there was a period of time last year when the Department was short two officers and two, sometimes three people in dispatch, which required overtime.


Mr. Smith stated that the Council is looking for a reduction of costs.  He would like the Chief to consider finding a way to take $10,000 to $15,000 out of his budget.  Chief Noll stated that he and other Department Heads meet with Ms. Palmieri and Mr. Raths before the budget is presented to Council and he feels that his Department always presents a very frugal budget. Chief Noll further stated that to cut money he would need direction from Council. He does not feel it is a decision he should make. 


Police Staff

Mr. Raths advised that this is down .89% from last year.



The request for salary increases will be discussed collectively at a future date.



No Discussion



Robert Kluska, 274 Emmans Road, commented on the fact that some Council members do not speak into the microphones and the public is unable to hear discussions.





ORDINANCES TO BE INTRODUCED                                               













February 17, 2006

#2 – Interoffice Memo from BettyLou DeCroce, re: Property Purchase – The Township does not want to sell this property.


#3 – Interoffice memo from BettyLou DeCroce, re: Dialysis Center.  Mr. Raths spoke with Miriam Morris and they are not looking for any changes.  Council would like the lease agreement to be changed to 10 years.  Mr. Bucco is working on the Agreement.


#5 – Correspondence from Al Blayer, re: Dial-A-Ride Services.  He has been advised that the Dial-A-Ride services are not being cut.






At 10:10 PM Mr. Ciaramella made a motion to adjourn the Budget Meeting.  Mr. Smith seconded the motion.


All If Favor - yes


Submitted By:







BettyLou DeCroce

Township Clerk



DATE:                                    March 14, 2006

ROLL CALL:             Mr. Rilee – yes Mr. Hall – yes

                                    Mr. Ciaramella – yes     Mr. Smith – yes

                                    Mr. Zoschak – recuse   Mayor Schmidt - yes